Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Tale of Two Chickens

 

My inaugural “I did it!” post is a two for one deal!  This week, my husband and I decided to get back on the weight loss train, which typically comes with eating a pile of chicken.  We’ve both had good success losing weight in the past, and used Weight Watchers to do it.  We are doing the WW Online Program, because frankly, after a couple years of meetings, I was not learning anything new and was bored.  My sister has also turned me on to Spark People, which I am going to use for the motivation component of the thing.  Anyway, so we’re eating a lot of chicken. 

I made two recipes this week, both of which are spreading around my friends’ boards like wild fire.  Monday, we had Key Lime Chicken, and with it, I made the Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe that is supposed to be a knock off from Chipotle.

This chicken from Grocery Budget 101, a website that I guess is meant to help you maximize your grocery dollar, and the rice came from Chef In You, which helps people learn vegetarian and vegan recipes. I haven’t spent much time on it.  Anyway, we’ve had amazing weather in the greater Washington DC area lately, so I decided to spark up the grill.  Unfortunately, apparently the remnants of last season’s “stuff” was in there, because I am not exagerrating in the least when I say flames at least 3 feet tall leapt out of the grill.  I managed to turn off the gas, and let it burn itself out, finally removing the pan from underneath, scraping it out, and turning the hose on my burning lawn.  Once that was done, the grill worked just fine.

The rice came out a little gummy and I thought it was a bit bitter—unfortunately I neglected to take a picture of it finished, but here it is mid-cooking:

P1000481I would reduce the lime juice by a teaspoon or two and the water by about a quarter cup, and then it would probably be perfect!

As for the chicken, it came out looking as good as the sample:

P1000482 And I can say with authority that this is going to be my new go-to grilling recipe.  I LOVED this.  It was so good.  It had tons of flavor and very low WWP+ (only 8).  My husband and daughter both enjoyed it!! YUM! 

Last night, I decided to try the other chicken recipe that’s been going around like crazy, dubbed THE BEST WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADA RECIPE EVER.

 

 

The recipe comes from Joyful Momma's Kitchen, whose tag line is “Cooking, Baking, and Mess Making”.  WW used to have a really good enchilada recipe that we liked a lot, but I’m not sure what I did with that recipe, so I decided to try this one.  I think my version came out looking pretty true to the originial.

P1000523I used low fat cheese and sour cream to lighten it up.  I had bought a rotisserie chicken a few days ago to have with salad for lunch and used that for my chicken.

So was it THE BEST WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADA RECIPE EVER? Honestly, I thought it was OK, but definitely not the best I’d ever eaten. 

For one thing, with only 2 cups of chicken and 1 cup of cheese in the tortillas, there isn’t much filling.  The sauce was OK—good thing there were chiles in there because it was otherwise pretty bland.  I gussied mine up with salsa to give it a little more something.  My husband thought they were good.  I don’t think I will make these again.  But that’s just us!  With everything lightened up, they are 7 WWP+ per.

So there you have it, our inaugural post.  Nothing to sell, but some reviews.  And while I set the grill on fire, thankfully I didn’t set the oven on fire! hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment